Last night I made Jamaican food, jerk chicken with rice and peas. Every week, I try to cook a new meal that I’ve never done before to spice up our every day meals.
Anywaydoe *cracks knuckles* let’s begin
We’re going to start with the jerk chicken. Before we begin, I must warn you that if you do NOT have these herbs/spices in your cabinet that it’s going to cost you a pretty penny. I went to a supermarket, where I cried when I saw the total of spices ALONE $30. So, I’m suggesting you visit a farmers market as they might have these spices a wee bit cheaper. I’m going to put the prices of each spice next to the ingredients, so you can see for yourself or have a guide, if you do go to the farmers market.
2 tablespoons of Dried Thyme ($.99)
1 tablespoon of Jamaican All Spice ($5.49)
1 tablespoon of Ground Rosemary ($.99)
1 tablespoon of Ground Ginger ($3.59)
1 1/2 tablespoons of Red Cayenne Pepper ($3.49)
1 1/2 tablespoons of White Pepper ($3.49)
1 1/2 tablespoons of Sea Salt ($2.49)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Onion Powder ($1.25)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Ground Cinnamon ($1.25)
1 1/2 teaspoons of Black Pepper ($2.19)
3/4 teaspoon of Ground Nutmeg ($4.99)
3/4 teaspoon of Garlic Powder ($1.25)
3/4 teaspoon of Paprika ($1.25)
12 Bay Leaves crumbled ($1.25)
1/3 cup of sugar
4 lbs of chicken (wings/thighs/legs/quarters. whatever you want)
1 container of lime juice
1/4 olive oil
1. Mix all of the above spices (except lime juice and olive oil) into a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk well.
2. Pour container of lime juice and olive oil in a bowl and mix well.
3. Dip the chicken in the lime/oil bowl and then place the chicken in the dry seasoning, coat well. Try and get as much of the seasoning, as you can onto the chicken. Place to the side, continue the same steps until all of the chicken is gone. If you find yourself running out of the dried seasoning, just add more into the bowl.
4. Marinate for 1-3 hours.
5. Preheat oven 450 degrees.
6. Place chicken in a pan, cover with foil and place in the oven for 1.5 hours, flip every 20-30 minutes.
*7 OPTIONAL If you have a grill, you can place the chicken on the grill for a few minutes to get the desired grill lines effect.
8. ENJOY and serve next to the bed of rice.
Now for the rice and peas recipe!
This recipe is very easy and I honestly didn’t take any pictures, it’s basically self explanatory.
Rice and peas ingredients:
1 16oz can of red kidney beans (cooked)
1 Garlic chopped (finely)
1 16 0z can of coconut milk (I used Goya)
2 cups of rice
2 Green onions chopped
2 sprig of fresh thyme
Add salt/pepper to taste
Water 2.5 cups
Cook the red kidney beans as instructed on the can in a medium pot. In a larger pot measure all liquids, put in the garlic and onions bring to a boil. Take the pot of red kidney beans and pour in the larger pot. Add in your 2 cups of rice along with the 2 sprigs of thyme, salt/pepper and bring to a boil. When it boils, cover the pot and turn down the flame to simmer. In 20 minutes, turn the flame off and fluff the rice with a fork. Cover the pot and let it sit for 5 minutes.
Serve it next to the jerk chicken you just made and ENJOY!